West End United Methodist Church seeks to create disciples for Christ through outreach and evangelism. With a focus on triune worship, we seek to bring honor to God by following the model of Jesus Christ, which is made possible by the power of the Holy Spirit.
The flame in our church logo represents the work of the Holy Spirit in the world, which is seen in believers through spiritual gifts.
The basic beliefs of West End United Methodist Church include:
- Triune God. God is one God in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost).
- Scripture. The writings in the Old Testament and New Testament are the inspired word of God.
- Sin. While human beings were intended to bear the image of God, all humans are sinners for whom that image is distorted. Sin estranges us from God and corrupts human nature such that we cannot heal or save ourselves.
- Salvation through Jesus Christ. God's redeeming love is active to save sinners through Jesus' incarnate life and teachings, through his atoning death, his resurrection, his sovereign presence through history, and his promised return.
- Sacraments. West End UMC recognizes two sacraments: Holy Baptism and Holy Communion. In Holy Baptism, we believe that Baptism is not only a sign of profession and mark of difference whereby Christians are distinguished from others that are not baptized; but it is also a sign of regeneration or new birth. We believe that Baptism is a sacrament in which God initiates a covenant with individuals, people become a part of our Church. West End UMC generally practices Baptism by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion. West End UMC affirms the real presence of Christ in Holy Communion, (the bread is an effectual sign of His body crucified on the cross and the cup is an effectual sign of His blood shed for humanity). We believe that this celebration is an anamnesis of Jesus' death, and we believe the sacrament to be a means of grace, therefore practice open communion.
- Free will. West End UMC believes that people, while corrupted by sin, are free to make their own choices because of God's divine grace.
- Grace. West End UMC believes that God gives unmerited favor freely to all people, though it may be resisted.